History of Bahawalpur Bahawalpur was founded in 1748 by Muhammad Bahawal Khan and was incorporated as a municipality in 1874. The Abbasi family ruled over the State for more than 200 years (1748 to 1954). During the rule of the last Nawab Sir Sadiq Muhammad Khan Abbasi V, Bahawalpur State was merged with Pakistan. During the 1960s (1954) the Nawab agreed for Bahawalpur to be amalgamable into modern Pakistan. Bahawalpur was formerly the capital of the state and now is the District and Divisional Headquarter of Bahawalpur Division.
Noor Mahal Bahawalpur
East of Bahawalpur is the Cholistan Desert which covers an area of about 15,000 km2 and extends into the Thar Desert of India. The region was once watered by the Hakra River, known as the Saravati in vedic times. At one time there were 400 forts in the area and archaeological finds around the Derawar Fort, the only place with a perennial waterhole, indicate that it was contemporaneous with the Indus Valley Civilization. The forts here were built at 29 km intervals, which probably served as guard posts for the camel caravan routes.
There were three rows of these forts. The first line of Forts began from Phulra and ended in Lera, the second from Rukhanpur to Islamgarh, and the third from Bilcaner to Kapoo. They are all in ruins now, and you can see that they were built with double walls of gypsum blocks and mud. Some of them date back to 1000 BC, and were destroyed and rebuilt many times.
Central Library Bahawalpur
Bahawalpur is a prosperous and gorgeous city widely known as a marvelous place to live and study. One can find the best schools, professional colleges, and a university. The magnificent palaces in the city add to its beauty. The clean and peaceful environment of Bahawalpur makes it a worth living place.